General information about club competitions
Club competitions for members are held during the club season at approximately monthly intervals (see Club Calendar).
Currently there are two sections, Intermediate and Advanced. New members may select which section they compete in. An advanced worker cannot enter work into the Intermediate Section unless agreed by the committee.
Each competition will have 3 classes in each section:
- Mono-chrome Prints (one continuous tone as defined by the Midland Counties Photographic Federation (MCPF))
- Colour Prints
- Digital Projected Images (DPI).
Each member may enter up to two pieces of work in each of the above classes.
A piece of work can only be entered into one monthly competition.
Monthly competition images can be entered in the annual awards competition, but once used in an annual competition then that image cannot be further used in any club competition.
All entries are to be made on the appropriate entry list provided by the competition secretary, spreading out your work where possible. All prints to have a completed competition label on the back.
Entries are to be submitted by the published date unless agreed by the competition secretary.
Prints should be mounted on a suitable mount board. The maximum size of a print entry, including mount, is 20 inches by 16 inches (40 x 50 cm). Each print should have a completed competition label (available from the Prints Competition Secretary) attached to the rear bottom left hand side of the mount.
Prints should be submitted at the meeting specified in the Club Calendar. A digital image of each print submitted should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of the meeting. The image should be:
- A JPEG file with a .jpg extension
- A maximum size of 2Mb (2048k)
- Maximum width of 1600 pixels and maximum height of 1200 pixels (for clarity a landscape image can be no wider than 1600px and no higher than 1200px; a portrait image can be no wider than 1200px and no higher than 1200px)
- Members should ensure that their digital images reflect their prints as closely as possible and, in particular, the crop should be the same as the visible area of the mounted print.
- The file name convention is My Name%Picture Title.jpg e,g. Joe Smith%Sunset.jpg. Members names will be removed from the filename before it is submitted to the judge.
- The covering email should specify the section and category of each image.
Images for the DPI classes should be submitted to: email@example.com within 48 hours of the meeting specified in the Club Calendar in the same format as specified for digital images of prints.
At the club’s annual general meeting (AGM) members will vote to decide the number of open or themed competition rounds to take place during the next season. If the members decide to host themed rounds, the theme shall also be voted on and selected during the AGM. The committee shall then provide a definition for members to use as a reference for these themed rounds.
Please remember that all judging is subjective. Whilst we may not personally agree, we are all required to respect the judges’ comments and accept their decisions.
N.B. Any work entered into FODCC competitions must be the members own work/image(s).
2017/18 Competition Rules
Click here to see the 2017 – 18 Open competition results.
Scoring for the Monthly Club Competition League Tables
Judges will mark all images entered into the monthly club competitions out of a maximum 20 points (1-20), where aggregate scores will be accumulated towards the annual awards.
Trophies are awarded to the club member with the highest accumulated score in that section at the end of season. The trophies include:
- The Roberts Cup – advanced monochrome print
- The Graham Ward Trophy – advanced colour print
- The John Knight Award – advanced digital projected image
- The Chairman’s Trophy – intermediate monochrome print
- The Challenge Cup – intermediate colour print
- The Hughes Cup – intermediate digital projected image
- Photographer of the year – member with the highest aggregate total of points
- The Hanover Court Shield – awarded for community work.
The Annual Awards Competition Rules
The annual awards competition is a separate open competition with the same 3 classes as above (monochrome print, colour print or digital projected image).
Each member may enter a maximum of 2 pieces of work in each section (monochrome print, colour print or digital projected image).
Entries can be from previous monthly competitions or new work.
The objective is to find the best work for the following awards.
Trophies will be awarded for the annual awards competition, as follows:
- The Howson Cup – best monochrome
- The Mary Weech Rose Bowl – best colour print
- The Hooper Cup – best projected image
- The Brenda Baker Trophy – best digital creative print
- The Cardale Cup – best human portrait (print or projected image).
ALL PRINTS AND IMAGES ARE SUBMITTED AT THE PHOTOGRAPHER’S OWN RISK. ALTHOUGH ALL REASONABLE CARE WILL BE TAKEN, THE FODCC AND MEMBERS CANNOT ACCEPT LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OCCURRING TO ANY ENTRIES, WHETHER IN TRANSIT, WHILST IN THE KEEPING OF MEMBERS OR DURING ANY EXHIBITION. SUBMISSION OF AN ENTRY IMPLIES ACCEPTANCE OF THE ABOVE REGULATIONS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CLUB INSURANCES DOES NOT EXTEND TO MEMBERS’ PRINTS OR IMAGES.